Archive for June, 2010
If you haven’t seen this documentary, you need to.
It follows three elderly people as they volunteer welcoming back troops or sending troops off to both Iraq and Afghanistan at Bangor International in Maine. To me it is amazing that the oldest living generation can still give of themselves but the younger generations can only sit back and talk about the pros and cons of these wars. I really don’t care what your take is on the wars, this documentary isn’t about that…it’s about the people who have found the importance in giving something to those who give us so much.
Maybe it’s because of the reception or lack there of for our Korea and Vietnam vets that the generation who fought in Korea and Vietnam aren’t the ones out there helping welcome the troops home or being the last civilian that some of them see for a year or so…
It’s the ’55 game that is worth a mention. Bill Glassford’s Huskers had been stunned in the season-opener that year, losing 6-0 at home to a Hawaii team with 28 players.
But the next week Nebraska traveled to Ohio State for what seemed destined to be a humiliation. Instead, the Huskers fought to the wire, losing 28-20 in front of 80,000 fans.
After the game, the Ohio State coach, a guy by the name of Woody Hayes, told the press: “Nebraska should be proud of its team. They are not Big Ten caliber, but they played like it today.”
Big Ten caliber? Fifty-five years later, Nebraska fits the bill.
1. It’s 2AM and you are not home. You are more than likely:
Having a great time
2. What’s the last thing you spent more than $100 on?
??? I think my computer anit-virus renewal…
3. What do your bank checks look like?
Ohio State Alumni background
4. Where did the shirt you are currently wearing come from?
My King Ave. UMC shirt…I got it when I played on the softball team there before I moved to Nebraska…such a fun time!
6. What color is your toothbrush?White and red
7. Name something you collect and tell us about it.
Ohio State Football stuff…what more do you want to know.
8. Last restaurant you ate at. Who were you with? How was it?
Fazoli’s last night with Mark. It was good…I was kind of bummed that they didn’t bring us more breadsticks…maybe they’ve done away with that but I was still bummed.
9. Who was the last person you bought a birthday card for?
Abbey! She turns 8 today!
10. What is your worst bad habit?
Biting my finger nails
11. Name a magazine to which you subscribe?
The only one I subscribe to is Backpacker…and I’m letting that run out because I read it online more than I read it when I get it in the mail.
12. Your favorite pizza toppings?
13. Whose number were you looking up the last time you used a phone book?
The number to Stop-Inn so I could order pizza for the kids on Thursday
14. Other than family, who is the person that you love most?
15. What is the last thing you cooked?
16. Name something you wouldn’t want to buy used?
17. Which shoe do you put on first?
Which ever one is closest to my foot
18. What is the last thing you remember losing?
My keys…but that is a daily occurrence
19. What is the ugliest piece of furniture in your house?
20. Last thing you bought and ended up returning?
21. What perfume/cologne do you wear? If none, why?
22. Your favorite board game?
23. What was the last board game you played?
24. Where did your vehicle come from?
Husker Auto…after it was shipped from Canada
25. If a movie was made about your life what would the theme song be?
Witness To Your Life by Laura McKenna
26. You’re sad, who can cheer you up easily?
Ashley, Mark, Kristin, Kris, Jessie, Shane
27. What was the color of the bridesmaid dresses of the last wedding you went to?
28. What house cleaning chore do you hate to do the most?
Laundry and dusting
29. What is your favorite way to eat chicken?
Grilled after being marinated in Italian dressing
30. It is your birthday. You hope the cake is?
Strawberry filled vanilla
A big congrats and a thank you for a job well done go out to David McDowell!
The sculpture I posted about on my blog a few months ago (https://klar4230.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/new-sculpture-made-from-the-past/) is finished!
Check out the pictures on Facebook by searching for Tree Sculpture For Sandy Valley High School
Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher do a great job both comically and romantically feeding off of one another. I always enjoyed Heigl on Grey’s Anatomy, but my relationship with Kutcher has been on again, off again. Sometimes I think he goes too far in his humor or just isn’t that funny in the role he has chosen.
I left the theater amused and pleased that the funnier moments of the film weren’t used in the tv spots.
Catherine O’Hara (the Home Alone mom to my generation) and Tom Selleck play her parents and added to the film. At the beginning of the movie, I wasn’t sure if they were going to add or detract from the film, but they did add to the story line…even if in some scenes it was just laughing at O’Hara’s character who seems to spend the entire film tanked!
Here are all 30 songs I mentioned during the 30 Day Song Challenge…
1. San Francisco – Scott McKenzie
2. Oops I Did It Again -Brittany Spears
3. Back Where I Come From – Kenny Chesney
4. Save A Place For Me- Matthew West
5. The Perfect Fan – Backstreet Boys
6. We Rode in Trucks – Luke Bryan
7. Hells Bells -ACDC
8. One Week- Barenaked Ladies
9. Jump, Jive an’ Wail- The Brian Setzer Orchestra
10. A Day Without Rain- Enya
11. Toes- The Zac Brown Band
12. Hook by Blues Traveler
13. Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry
14. No Limit Soldiers by Master P
15. Behind These Hazel Eyes- Kelly Clarkson
16. Cowboy Cassanova – Carrie Underwood
17. Hillbilly Bone by Blake Shelton
18. Feed Jake by Sawyer Brown
19. Spiderwebs – No Doubt
20. Wrong Way by Sublime
21. I’m Gonna Hire A Wino by David Frizzel
22. You Save Me – Kenny Chesney
23. Witness To Your Life – Lori McKenna
24. Time of Your Life by Green Day
25. Nasty Girl by Nitty
26. Carmen Ohio by TBDBITL
27. Wipeout by The Beach Boys
28. The Star Spangled Banner
29. I Don’t Want To Live On The Moon- Jim Henson
30. All I Ask For Anymore – Trace Adkins
There is a bit of a country focus but I think this list really shows just how varied my musical tastes can be!